- Posted by Dan Moore
- On December 12, 2018
- 0 Comments
Martin Fridson is “perhaps the most well-known figure in the high yield world,” according to Investment Dealers’ Digest. At brokerage firms including Salomon Brothers, Morgan Stanley, and Merrill Lynch, he became known for his innovative work in credit analysis and investment strategy. For nine consecutive years, he was ranked number one in high yield strategy in the Institutional Investor All America Research Survey.
Fridson received his BA cum laude in history from Harvard College and his MBA from Harvard Business School. He has served as president of the Fixed Income Analysts Society, governor of the CFA Institute, director of the New York Society of Security Analysts, and consultant to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors.
The Financial Management Association International named Fridson the Financial Executive of the Year in 2002. In 2000, he became the youngest person inducted up to that time in the Fixed Income Analysts Society Hall of Fame. The CFA Society New York bestowed its Ben Graham Award on Fridson in 2017. A study based on 16 core journals ranked Fridson among the ten most widely published authors in finance in the period 1990-2001. In 2013, Fridson served as Special Assistant to the Director for Deferred Compensation, Office of Management and the Budget, The City of New York.
In 2000, The Green Magazine called Fridson’s Financial Statement Analysis “one of the most useful investment books ever.” The Boston Globe said his 2006 book, Unwarranted Intrusions: The Case Against Government Intervention in the Marketplace, should be short-listed for best business book of the decade.
Fridson’s commentary on economics and financial markets can be found at www.forbes.com.
- Be open to suggestions. -Martin Fridson
- Business decisions are a combination of head and heart. -Dan Moore
- Think about your brand–what you represent and what value you bring in or out of your company. Building up your brand is the most powerful thing you can do for yourself. -Martin Fridson
- Look at [your situation] as a problem to be solved, that’s the right mindset to be in. -Martin Fridson
- Enlist the help of smarter people. -Martin Fridson
- The right people with the right expertise is a form of business school without going to business school. -Dan Moore
- In God we trust; all others should pay cash. -Martin Fridson
- Cash doesn’t bounce. -Martin Fridson
Martin’s closing thoughts: Stay confident in what you do know. Don’t sell yourself short. Having the courage in your convictions is the most important fact. No matter what side you’re going up against, you can get them on the right side if you stick to your guns.
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Dan Moore, President of Southwestern Advantage, the oldest direct-sales company in America, and Partner with Southwestern Consulting. With more than 45 years in sales leadership and marketing management, Dan has a wealth of knowledge to share on how to make better use of time to achieve life, sales, and other business goals. Each week, he interviews some of the nation’s top thought leaders and experts, sharing meaningful tips and advice. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!