- Posted by Dan Moore
- On November 6, 2019
- 0 Comments
- american dream, direct selling, joseph mariano
Joseph N. Mariano joined the Direct Selling Association (DSA) in 1985 and assumed the role of President in 2011.
Previously, he was Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. DSA is the 109-year-old not-for-profit national trade organization representing approximately 250 direct sales firms, and their 26.2 million independent salespeople. The Association’s mission is “To protect, serve, and promote the effectiveness of member companies and the independent business people they represent. To ensure that the marketing by member companies of products and/or the direct sales opportunity is conducted with the highest level of business ethics and service to consumers.”
Mr. Mariano serves as chief executive officer of the Association with ultimate responsibility for all association programs and activities; he is charged with providing progressive association leadership, development, and implementation of Association policies in the fields of government, consumer, and international affairs. He has been responsible for representing the Association’s interests in all fifty state capitals and on Capitol Hill. He serves as a personal resource to direct selling companies who need overall guidance on general legal and business trends that affect direct sellers both in the US and worldwide.
Mr. Mariano also serves as President of the Direct Selling Education Foundation. Mr. Mariano is admitted to practice law in the state of Maryland, and before the Supreme Court of the United States. He has authored numerous articles and been a contributor to publications on direct selling and government affairs.
- You have to be able to express your opinion and disagree strongly behind closed doors. —Joseph Mariano
- There’s no monopoly on wisdom for any of us. —Joseph Mariano
- As experienced and knowledgable you think you are in an industry or business, you don’t know everything. You have to open yourself up to a variety of thinking and approaches. That’s a humbling and empowering experience. —Joseph Mariano
- You can’t allow yourself to fall into a pattern of thinking. —Joseph Mariano
- No matter you’re position, you’re not indispensable. —Joseph Mariano
- You take your personal experiences into the business world and use them for your performance. —Joseph Mariano
Joseph’s final thoughts: We’re living in a challenging time, and I think it’s redefining what the American dream. To me, it’s not a mansion or a Mercedes Benz. In my view, the American dream is contributing and doing something that you want to do. It’s having an impact on your community and contributing in a way that puts people in a better place. In that sense, I think there’s always the opportunity for the American dream.
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Dan Moore, President of Southwestern Advantage, the oldest direct-sales company in America, and Partner with Southwestern Consulting. With more than 45 years in sales leadership and marketing management, Dan has a wealth of knowledge to share on how to make better use of time to achieve life, sales, and other business goals. Each week, he interviews some of the nation’s top thought leaders and experts, sharing meaningful tips and advice. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!