- Posted by Dan Moore
- On August 22, 2018
- 0 Comments
While on vacation in Mexico, the unexpected happened for Jake Hirning. In a matter of seconds, his life was changed forever. As Jake dove into a wave, the force of the ocean rammed him into the ocean floor, breaking his neck. A plane flew into Mexico and transported him to San Antonio, where 11 doctors took him to surgery. The surgery was successful, and Jake lived, but now he is paralyzed from the chest below and has minimal use of his hands. Through this tragedy, Jake has taken on every challenge with a positive attitude and a smile. His determination is one that will bring him further each day.
- This wasn’t the end. I’m in control of my life; I get to choose how I process and perceive these moments. -Jake Hirning
- I’ve grown as a person [since the incident]. I don’t rely on a look to be confident anymore; I’m confident in myself. -Jake Hirning
- Everyone has things that happen to them in life, but you choose if that defines you. -Jake Hirning
- Surround yourself with people that you want to be like. -Jake Hirning
- [If you’re in despair], the first thing to realize is this moment is temporary. You get to decide how you react to the situation. -Jake Hirning
- Action cures fear. -Multiple sources
Jake’s closing thoughts: Accept the reality of what has happened; don’t deny or pretend that it didn’t. Invite others to share in the struggle with you instead of doing it alone. Do anything to get into action.
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Dan Moore, President of Southwestern Advantage, the oldest direct-sales company in America, and Partner with Southwestern Consulting. With more than 45 years in sales leadership and marketing management, Dan has a wealth of knowledge to share on how to make better use of time to achieve life, sales, and other business goals. Each week, he interviews some of the nation’s top thought leaders and experts, sharing meaningful tips and advice. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!