- Posted by Dan Moore
- On March 20, 2019
- 0 Comments
Michael McMillan is a designer, best-selling author, public speaker,
Throughout his career, Michael’s client roster has read like the Who’s Who of Business. Fortune 100 corporations, startups, nonprofits, and sports and music legends have all sought Michael’s leadership with award-winning results. While Michael’s work has been recognized by major design, marketing, and advertising organizations around the world, his bottom-line results have been recognized by clients, partners,
Michael’s creative direction on Michael Jordan’s New York Times best-selling pictorial autobiography, Rare Air, established a new niche in retail publishing. This success was followed by several more award-winning publishing initiatives including Mario Andretti and The NBA at 50. Michael’s leadership on Genuine Value: The John Deere Journey established a cultural framework and value catalyst for Deere’s future.
After 20 consecutive years of growth, Michael sold his firm and began sharing his unique insights on creative thinking, innovation and making positive change.
Michael has spoken to audiences throughout the US, Canada, Central America, Europe, and Asia. When the United Arab Emirates launched its national innovation initiative, Michael was invited to Dubai to address this subject with UAE leaders, international investors,
A best-selling author, Michael’s current books include Paper Airplane: A Lesson for Flying Outside the Box, The Power of Teamwork (co-authored with the Blue Angels’ Scott Beare), and Pink Bat: Turning Problems Into Solutions.
In 2013, Michael was recruited by the founder and CEO of a Fortune 1000 financial firm to serve as Chief Marketing/Branding Officer. Charged with driving growth and elevating the brand, Michael established a new department, and developed and deployed a fully integrated digital marketing strategy including the underlying technologies, business processes, and demand generation tactics. Michael’s leadership and contributions helped move the stock price from $46 a share to $100+ within three years. The company was acquired in 2016 for $4.3 billion.
- Having the right people in the right places doing the right things is what creates synergy. -Michael McMillan
- No matter where you go, you should earn the right for the power that you have in an organization. The leader should provide this opportunity. -Michael McMillan
- It’s difficult for me to let go but A. That’s the only way you grow and B. Other people have better ideas than me. -Michael McMillan
- Try to find people that have unique skills and are smarter or better than you are. That’s the key to building a great organization. -Michael McMillan
- A lot of people say that they’re not creative but everyone is creative. It’s innate; it’s who we are as human beings. -Michael McMillan
- We all have gaps and shortcomings. But likewise, we all have strengths. If we start buying into our shortcomings, we start forgetting about our strengths. -Michael McMillan
- Stay true to your values and principles. -Michael McMillan
- Identify who you are and what you’re about, and continue to look at things from multiple perspectives. -Michael McMillan
- So often we label things as a problem and then they become a problem. What we should do is reframe the way we look at the situation and realize it’s not a problem at all. -Michael McMillan
- Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. -Napolean Hill
Michael’s closing thoughts: We learn from life, we learn from living, provided that we’re willing to do so.
The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Dan Moore, President of Southwestern Advantage, the oldest direct-sales company in America, and Partner with Southwestern Consulting. With more than 45 years in sales leadership and marketing management, Dan has a wealth of knowledge to share on how to make better use of time to achieve life, sales, and other business goals. Each week, he interviews some of the nation’s top thought leaders and experts, sharing meaningful tips and advice. Subscribe on iTunes and please leave a rating and review!